Monday, February 06, 2006

9) Price of Dreams, Nancy McKenzie

Book the ninth, Prince of Dreams, by Nancy McKenzie.

Rating:
3/5 stars

Review:
I hate to say it, but Nancy McKenzie's books don't really improve with age. Or, rather, my age. The first Arthurian legend fiction books I ever read were her Child Queen and High Queen, they are still among my favorites, and I have them to thank for my introduction into fantasy fiction. That said, I read them when I was 14. Of course I've reread them many times, and I was thrilled when I saw her publish another book - I had been keeping an eye out for years. But The Grail Prince wasn't all that good. It was sort of a disappointment to me, and probably my fault for putting her on a pedestal. In retrospect, it was around the same caliber work as Child Queen and High Queen. Luckily, Prince of Dreams, despite the dorky title, is better than Grail Prince. It still has that nagging unfairness to women which dogged Ms. McKenzie's pen in Grail Prince - she doesn't write men as convincingly as women, she has them act horribly and yet we're still supposed to like them since they are the protagonists. I guess that's enough shredding from me. I probably won't reread this book, but you could still catch me with my dog-eared copy of Child Queen at the local coffeeshop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home