Wednesday, February 01, 2006

7) Night, Elie Wiesel

The first of my books that are also a part of Oprah's book club, Night by Elie Wiesel.

Rating:
5/5 stars

Review:
Well, how do you not give a book about so poignant a subject a high rating.... This was Wiesel's seminal work, a powerful, moving, evocative, haunting and horrifying first-hand recollection of his days in concentration camps during the Holocaust. I'd be lying if I said this was a good read, because it really bothered me, but that's as it should be, I think. This isn't "The Diary of Anne Frank" - it is at times graphic and at all times frightening and morbid and despair-inducing. How could people treat other people with such inhumanity?

So, yeah, read it, but have something happy to read after, unless you like cherishing such subject matter in your thought life, because it will stick with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home